Call me a wimp, but I really just can’t get motivated for a cardio workout without music. I just can’t. I mean, I can put one foot in front of the other, but the music I listen to really affects my pace, intensity, and frankly, enjoyment. As a former singer, actor, and dancer, my energy responds instinctively to the melody, the beat, and even the lyrics. Sometimes, it takes a lot of restraint for me not to belt out singing while walking on my favorite Woodway treadmill. (You’re welcome, fitness center!)
But I don’t only use my workout playlist for keeping my workouts motivated. Sometimes, after an exhausting day at work, the temptation to drive straight home and hop right into pajamas is almost irresistible. It’s moments like those that I use my workout playlist as my secret weapon. Once my workout tunes start pumping through my car’s stereo, it’s easy to drive straight to the gym, instead of home. Here are some songs that have been on heavy rotation in my workout playlist lately:
1. “The Edge of Glory” by Lady Gaga. What workout playlist would be complete without Gaga? The motivating lyric “I’m on the edge of glory…” gives you a great burst of energy, right when you need it most.
2. “Waking Up in Vegas” by Katy Perry. Motivating lyric: “Shut up and put your money where your mouth is…” You got it, Katy!
3. “I’m Not Going to Teach your Boyfriend How to Dance With You” by Black Kids. A great upbeat song with an infectious melody. (Motivating lyric: He’s got two left feet, and he bites my moves…)
4. “So What” by P!nk. A workout is always more fun with the queen of girl-power rock. Motivating lyric: “So, so what? I’m still a rock star…I’ve got my rock moves…”
5. “Some Nights” by Fun. The changing tempo in this song is great for intervals, and also to give yourself a little rest when you need it. Motivating lyric: “This is it, boys, this is war – what are we waiting for? Why don’t we break the rules already?”
So, what’s on your playlist? I need some new recommendations!