Enjoy the Outdoors
Enjoy the outdoors, exercise and socialize. Good physical condition and hiking boots are the only prerequisites. Bring lunch and something to drink. FREE to members and their guests.
Our Club Fit Hiking Club is celebrating its 28th anniversary! Hikes take place in the local area on marked, wooded paths through nature centers, forests and occasionally mountains. Members are encouraged to bring along their family and friends. Hikes are labeled easy, medium and rugged. Come discover the natural beauty we have here in Westchester and the surrounding area. No need to register–just show up! You can always call your Hiking Leaders with any thoughts or questions.
LEARN ABOUT MICHAEL
Michael has been hiking trails in the Hudson Valley since he was a young boy. He has been hiking with the hiking club for the past 10 years. Michael is Red Cross certified in adult first aid/CPR/AED and has been living in Yorktown since 1996 with his daughters.
LEARN ABOUT PETER
Peter enjoys sharing his love of the forest trails with Club Fit members. His friends have always known where to look for him: “Outdoors!” First as a Cub Scout and a Boy Scout and then as a trained hike leader for the Appalachian Mountain Club. Peter has hiked and camped throughout the United States, parts of Canada, Europe and the United Kingdom. He has also biked just about all over the Netherlands.
Capt. Peter was also a professional sailing and racing instructor, having taught for the New York Sailing School on City Island, The Appalachian Mountain Club, the Croton Sailing School and Ferry Sloops right here on the Hudson River.
After attaining his Masters License as a US Coast Guard Sailing Captain, Peter ran a charterboat business, “Caribbean Dream Charters,” out of Tortola in the British Virgin Islands taking guests out for week-long, live-aboard cruises. Each cruise was a week in paradise.
Peter Meskin and Andrew Stein started the Club Fit Hiking Club over 27 years ago and are both very proud to still be leading the hikes. A few years back, a long-time Club Fit Hiking Club member, Michael Capsuto, joined Peter and Andrew leading hikes for the Club. He has become an energetic and valuable member of the leadership team.
LEARN ABOUT JIM
Jim rediscovered the enjoyment of hiking after becoming a member of the Club Fit Hiking Group. He was a past member of the Appalachian Mountain Club. He has hiked throughout the United States and southern areas of Ireland. Jim resides in Somers with his wife and daughter since 2003.
Please remember hikes are canceled in the event of inclement weather. Call the appropriate Hike Leader if weather is questionable.
Here are some GUIDELINES FOR PARENTS to read if you are thinking of bringing your child on one of our hikes:
- We enjoy having children on hikes but they must stay close to you throughout the entire hike.
You — not the Hike Leader — are responsible for them.
- You have to determine by reading the full hike description and/or calling the Hike Leader a few days before the hike if your child has both the interest and the stamina to keep up with the group and to complete the hike.
- Children need to be wearing hiking boots or sturdy sneakers.
- Bring extra food, water and your child’s favorite snacks for “motivation.”
- Not required, but a good idea is to have them carry a small backpack with a few items for a sense of responsibility and to feel part of the group.
- No electronic devices of any kind on hikes! Please keep Cellphones on vibrate and put them away, for emergency use.
“The best view comes after the hardest climb”